Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

My brother had a stroke due to excessive stress, alcohol, and

Customer Question

My brother had a stroke due to excessive stress, alcohol, and smoking 1 year ago. He has had depression problems for over 20 years prior to the stroke. Right now, he is severly depressed and no drugs so far work, he also has medical issues and due to weakness, fatigue and other health concerns ends up back and forth in the hospital, he was in the hospital last week his BP dropped to 40 over 20, they admitted him and said he had a blood infection and after series of tests concluded he has an enlarged liver and released him after 5 days and are going to conduct further testing. Could these health issues have something to due with the severe depression and can you dye from depression?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hi liz,

I am sorry to hear about your brother current state,but Alcoholism may lead to depression, and patients start abusing alcohol, Nicotine in depression, so it is a kind of complicated relationship.

Alcohol dependence, Smoking etc itself can lead to various severe medical problems which your brother seems to be suffering from according to what you have written.These medical problems are further going to aggravate his depression .

What else do you want to know , please tell me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my direct question was can you die from depression, I am fully aware of the fact that all his unhealthy lifestyles have created this health matter, but my initial direct question is can you die from depression and can it shut down major organs such as a Kidney due to depression?