Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

Back in 1997, I was reading an article about a seemingly in

Back in 1997, I was reading an article about a seemingly in shape wrestler whom died of a sudden heart failure. That day I had a panic attack, which at the time I thought was a heart issue. For the next 11 years, I worried that I was going to die of a heart issue. I was never diagnosed with any heart condition, but I still obsessed I would die from it. Well this year it manifested into fear of crossing bridges, fear of public speaking, etc. I decided to schedule a visit to a therapist. The first visit, she asked me if I had thoughts of hurting myself or others. Of course I said no because I truly never have. However, that night I woke up in severe panic and thought "what-if I go crazy and try to hurt someone"? Since then I have been obsessed with this anxiety and depression. Lately, I have been worried that I might be bipolar or going bipolar. I am obsessed with looking for reassurance and answers on the internet. Am I bipolar or going bipolar?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you have pretty severe anxiety with some obsessive thought patterns mixed in (this is not uncommon for people with anxiety). Have you ever seen a therapist? Any good therapist could help you manage your anxiety better so that it doesn't negatively impact your life as much as it is currently. There are medications that can help too, which you may decide are necessary, but even without medication, therapy could prove useful in teaching you coping skills, helping you counter-act your negative and/or irrational thoughts, and ultimately helping you stop obsessing.

You might be interested in doing some research on obsessive thoughts (this is sometimes called "Pure O" for the purely obsessional form of obsessive-compulsive disorder). It might help you to read about this kind of thing as you are certainly not alone in struggling with anxiety and obsessive thoughts.

Given what you have said here, I do not see any evidence of your having bipolar disorder.