Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I suffer from chronic depression and have been taking klonopin

I suffer from chronic depression and have been taking klonopin for it. I have forgotten to take two days worth of doses which is six pills. I had a panic attack tonight. I followed up with a xanax, which I rarely do and I still and am having heart palpitations, upset stomache, and now I feel "wired", I took my regular dose of Klonopin tonite to get back on schedule. But they should interact, because it usually takes a couple of hours before the klonopin works.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Klonopin and Xanax, both belongs to same Benzodiazepines class, but Xanax has short half life therefore shorter duration of action as compared to the Klonopin.
Xanax has been used an as-needed occasional top up dose for inter-dose anxiety.

Klonopin has rapid onset of action, but for longer duration, and as you mentinoed that you have symptom of panic attack after months,and are also on Effexor and Wellbutrin,you may notice improvement shortly.
(If not, and symptoms increase in severity, should consult a doctor.)