Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have been taking Luvox for 4 weeks, I started as 100mg for

I have been taking Luvox for 4 weeks, I started as 100mg for the past 3 weeks and 4 days. My Primary Doctor wants me to change to another so I have been taking only 50 mg for the past 3 days and he wants me to stop today and take nothing for a week and than start???? Is this tapering from 100mg to 50mg for only three days ok or should it be longer like 5 or 6 days?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Of course this drug needs to be tapered to avoid withdrawal effects which you are already doing.Many patients are able to tolerate 50% dose reduction for 3 days, then another 50 % dose reduction for three days, then discontinuation.You can discuss with your doctor about this alternative.

If withdrawal symptoms emerge during the discontinuation,the strategy is to raise dose to stop symptoms and then restart withdrawal much more slowly.

I hope it helps.

Regards