Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

When i consume cannabis i am no longer mentally retarded! I

Customer Question

When i consume cannabis i am no longer mentally retarded! I NEED HELP when i lose the high i become retarded until i consume more again.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
Hi mj

Could you please explain, what do you mean by "no longer being mentally retarded when I consume cannabis?

What symptoms of retardation do you have?

Since how long you are consuming cannabis and in what quantity?

Regards
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
at most i would smoke a gram and no longer feel racing thoughts and can think clearly. when i have not smoked or consumed cannabis i feel cloudy find myself shy, i stutter, and can not express my thoughts therefore appearing to others retarded. is there anything i or you can do?
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
Hi mj,

Many thanks for the information!

Please answer these questions also!

Are you also taking other drugs, Smoking or taking Alcohol?

Whats your highest level of education ? and work status?

Have you been diagnosed with any medical of psychiatric illness in past or recently?

What about symptoms of sad mood, anxiety,not able to sleep,unable to think, low appetite, not able to enjoy previously pleasurable activities?

Does smoking cannabis helps you in relieving these symptoms also?

Regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i do not take other drugs.
i have made it through high school.
i have a part time job that is not hard in any way.
i have been on anti depressants (paxil) in the past.
i sleep allot, have anxiety usually every time i am on my way to work, i hardly do anything because i feel that there is never anything to do. but when i smoke cannabis i found that everything is easier to handle i have never smoked before going to work so i would not know the difference between the anxiety i feel when i am on my way to work. but every other time i feel the anxiety cannabis has helped tremendously. i can think more freely when i have smoked cannabis and don't feel tied down because of my otherwise sever symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
Once again, thanks for the detailed information.Now I am in a much better position to reply.

This is a common finding seen in clinical practice that patients suffering from Depression and Anxiety disorders take cannabis to relieve there symptoms,and some how find it useful,and it seems to me that you may also be doing the same.

According to studies,People who use cannabis daily over weeks to months are most likely to become dependent.There are harmful consequence of cannabis abuse and the consumption itself may give rise to various Psychiatric disorders.

As you have history of Depression and Anxiety disorder in past,and on the basis of symptoms you have mentioned,in my view, you should once again consult a Psychiatrist for evaluation and management of Anxiety-Depression.

If you have any other question, please let me know!

Regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you saying that cannabis is not helping me and that i am addicted? because i do not think that is the case and what about eatables i hear they can also give the same results without the harshness of smoking
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.

I have simply mentioned the harmful effects and chances of dependence with long term consumption of cannabis.
In my view, it is not helping you, and you should go for a Psychiatric evaluation and start the treatment for Depression and Anxiety disorder again if your doctor think so on the basis of evaluation.

I don't think that there are any such eatables, and someone should go for them to treat these symptoms.

Regards