Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

my husband has recently experiencing extreme paranoid episodes

Customer Question

my husband has recently experiencing extreme paranoid episodes along with suspicsion, always thinking people are talking about him. he also gets very high then very low, along with other things he seems to be dabbleing more with alcohol and even drugs too. his personality has changed for the worse since he had brain surgery in 2004 even to the point of being very dependant on people, but the paranoia and suspicion is a recent event maybe over last year.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Age: 41; Male, United Kingdom

Already Tried:
he has been on several anti depressants through out the years, and in 2006 had been in a mental hospital after a couple of suicide atempts, since then he had been on a drug called chlorapromizine (i think that how you spell it )he took them for a year and seemed good but then he stopped them as he thought he no longer needed them, and since then slipped back but has got alot worse.
Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.
what did your husband have brain surgery for? I would ask for a consult with the surgeon and/or diagnosing physician for whatever brain issues he had. Sometimes brain surgery can have long-term effects similar to those of a traumatic brain injury (TBI). (There is lots of research on the effects of TBI on mood if you're interested- do a google search.) This can cause complications in mood, behavior, memory, sex-drive, impulsivity, level of aggression, etc. If you don't have any luck with his surgeon, I would find a psychologist in your area who does psychiatric testing. This might help give you more specific information about what is going on with your husband and what potential treatment options are out there for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he had brain surgery due to an assault, he was punched and fell to ground which caused him a fractured skull and a large bleed on the brain, this assault was from an old friend who was not prosecuted which he could not accept there was no justice. he did have ct scans and did make a full recovery from this trauma, but in his rehabilitation period he did have bad depression, i am just worried about these new symptoms ie paranoia, suspicion, sneakyness, and even spending money we not have and gettin loans and has even exploited himself sexually.
Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.

Even though the head injury was a long time ago, sometimes it can take a while for symptoms to show up. I have known multiple people who have gone a year or more after a TBI "doing fine" and then started having major personality changes after that time. This is not to say that his symptoms are DEFINITELY caused by his head injury; there is certainly the possibility that he has a concurrent psychiatric diagnosis. His symptoms sound consistent with a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, but I wouldn't want to diagnose this without further testing of brain functioning related to his injury.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i do believe it something like bipolar i have done some research, but i think the doctors are swayed by the fact he has miss used drugs and alcohol not often but he has taken some. i just dont seem to be gettin my views heard here in northern ireland and i would hate to think they could miss diagnose sorry to reply again i just need to know someone listening to me. thankyou

Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.
It sounds very frustrating. Many people experiencing the kinds of symptoms that your husband has abuse drugs and alcohol as a way to get some relief. It's not healthy, but shouldn't be a reason that doctors don't listen. I would recommend continuing to search until you find someone you can work with; it sounds like both you and your husband could use some support.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
Hi caroline, <br /> <br />I agree with Rachel that Traumatic brain injury or the operation could be acting as precipitating factor/causative for these symptoms,but these symptoms may also indicate independent psychiatric illness and do need a proper psychiatric evaluation.In excessive alcohol and drugs abuse, also patient present with these symptoms. <br /> <br />Is he having any positive family history of Psychiatric illness/?? <br /> <br />The symptoms you have mentioned do point towards some Psychiatric problem. <br /> <br />It is also difficult to say that his increased consumption of alcohol and drugs may result in such symptoms or it is happening because of illness.In both cases it is going to flare his illness. <br /> <br />Bipolar disorder with Psychotic disorder may be one of the possibility on the basis of symptoms you have mentioned (although it require a proper history and detailed mental status examination to comment on it and from here it is very difficult to say so). <br /> <br />Whether these symptoms are of because of the neurological insult such as Head trauma or brain surgery,or they may be because of some Psychiatric illness,or drug abuse Psychiatric treatment is nearly going to be the same, and in my view you must go for a Psychiatric consultation regarding him. <br /> <br />If you have any other query, please tell me. <br /> <br />Regards <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />Is there any family history of Psychiatric disorder in his family, towards the mother or father side? <br /> <br />
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics