Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Bipolar son with psychosis concern

My 15yo son has BP w/psychosis and stays in his room only to come out to shower and use the restroom. Yesterday he thought he heard me call him but, didn't. Today he thought I answered him but didn't. He doesn't groom himself well and he wont take medicine. He's gone through alot and always complains about wanting to move but, I can't afford to move us. What should I do? He's been hospitalized x's 2 and they wanted to institutionalized him but, I refused to allow them to. He's my only son and for the last 1.5 yr. I've had protective custody of my 12yo ADHD nephew that gets on his nerves. I can't get him to go to the Md and he internally decapitated his hand in a bike accident last year. He sleeps all day and stays up all night and constantly wakes me up and I've been real sick lately. We had an auto accident in 2006 and I had both breast removed in 2001 and I'm going crippled slowly but I am ok, I was a nurse/firefighter for 17 yrs. Thank you for your time and blessings.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 15; Male, Louisiana

Already Tried:
Talking to him but, he wants me to go away. I had a bad accident and almost died in front of him and he feels like he can't leave me. I try to reassure him but, doesn't work. I am a nurse with psych but, this has me exhausted.

It is evident that you are going through a lot , but still have fighting spirit and I appreciate it very much. This shows how courageous you are.

Since you have mentioned that you are from mental health background, you must make sure that your son is taking medicines.Psychosis and Bipolar disorder in Adolescence are very difficult to treat and require a high level of care. It should also be determined that is he hallucinating again? as you say that he hear you answering him and like that.At least you should get a Psychiatric consultation for him regularly in my view.

You must also be knowing that if he will not take his medicines, his condition may worsen further.

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know I will have a hard time getting my son to take his meds. Any more suggestions please. Thank you
It sounds like you could use some family therapy. Do you think that you could get your son and your nephew to attend a family counseling session with you? A good family therapist would be able to help you become the best parent you can be to both kids and also to help the kids sort through the issues they're having. That therapist might also refer your son for a medication evaluation as it sounds as though his symptoms are severe, and worsening-- sometimes kids hear this kind of suggestion better from someone other than Mom. In any case, having a therapist you can see regularly will help you all stay on track in dealing with the issues in your home.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can try. I had him in counseling before and then he refused to go. He is even starting to tell me when I can and can't go places and so forth. My nephew's father (my brother) is about to get life in prison for a non violent habitual offender and it's just a sad thing. We also lost my step father suddenly in Feb at 52yo found dead in bed. So, they are going through alot. And the nephew is under protective custody. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX kind, caring and helpful for you to reply. Blessings to you and yours.
It really sounds like you could all use some support! I hope that family therapy is helpful. Usually with things like this, getting started is the hardest part- once you've met with someone and established a good rapport it's a lot easier from there. Good luck.