Lively
Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
13693856

From a distance, my life my appears great. For a 24 year old

Customer Question

From a distance, my life my appears great. For a 24 year old male, I have a masters degree, very secure and well paid job, a family and girlfriend that love me very much and I am a great looking person. It has been a personal characteristic that compells me to always want more, be better, never settle and to do so at all costs. I assume that is why I have obtained what I currently have at such a young age. But, you can see that any person can only obtain so much, earn so much money, be givin so much love and respect. When can a person just look at what they have and be happy. This continuous struggle that has developed my life is now having a inversly related effect. The feeling of never having enough is now slowely eating away at my personality and my ability to live life happily. I have now resorted to alcohol and drugs. I became involved in multiple activities that risk my life to determine if life is even worth living. For example, I skydive and race motercycles. I am now disrespecting those who have only provided love and care for my entire life with lies and disrespect. Over the past year, the depth of my pain become increasingly hurtfull. I do need help and I need it fast. I thank god that I have friends that can help me come to this difficult realization. To be honest, the only reason I have to stop me from killing myself is to avoid the pain it would cause my family, friends and girlfriend. I have provided them with enough worry and emotional pain already. It would be selfish to do more harm to the people I love so much. But as each day offers me more and more emotional struggles, I am afraid I may grow mentally weak and not be able to control what I already want to do.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Age: 24; Male, Indiana

Already Tried:
Talk with friends and family or just drink.
Expert:  Lively replied 5 years ago.

It really sounds like you need some help right away. I'm sorry to hear that things have gotten so bad for you. Are you open to seeing a therapist? Sometimes having someone who's not intimately involved in your life to talk to about what's going on can be much more helpful than talking to family and friends who probably are a lot more invested in your decisions. Drinking alcohol and using drugs might temporarily numb the emotional pain you feel, but will ultimately make things worse for you- alcohol is a depressant, so that will actually lead you to feel more depressed.

There are lots of people who struggle with the desire for more and/or questions about what life means and what makes it important. These are upsetting questions but they are not worth dying over, as, with some help, you can sort out answers for yourself and end up feeling much happier in your life and relationships.

It is also very important that you reach out to people at times that you're thinking about hurting yourself. You can always call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK for 24-hour support. It seems very important though that you additionally find a psychologist who you can work with at least once a week for help.