Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

recently, my anxiety has returned. I find it difficult to

Customer Question

recently, my anxiety has returned. I find it difficult to even go to the store. I feel lightheaded, as if the floor is moving under me. I volunteer every tuesday at my daughter's school. I am thinking about not going. In the past my dr. put me on citalopram, i have not taken any in a few years. I was thinking about going back on it. I read up on it and Citalopram is labeled for depression and a side effect is anxiety. What would you advise. I try to make myself go somewhere everyday to fight the anxiety. What would you advise.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hi Elizabeth,<br /><br />SSRIs is a class of Antidepressants drugs which is being used as a first choice for treating Anxiety and Depression and Citalopram belong to this class.

It has a good antianxiety effects, but in some cases it is seen that Antidepressants may take some time to show there effects, and in the mean time they may be augmented by some other drugs such as Benzodiazepines .<br />

This drug is frequently used worldwide for treatment of Anxiety disorder.

If you have any other query,please tell me.