Being_Mindful
Being_Mindful, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Masters in Clinical Counseling & Completing Doctorate in Psyh. 3 Yrs. Exper w/ Diverse Populations
13655154

I have panic disorder with agoraphobia, which I am in therapy

Customer Question

I have panic disorder with agoraphobia, which I am in therapy and on meds for- I want to quit smoking, but I am wondering if this is a good idea, or if I should wait until I through with my therapy and doing better?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Being_Mindful replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer I can see that you have a lot going on in your life right now, and I commend you that you are reaching out to seek professional help with therapy and medication. I would suggest that you be very cautious as to how much you take on yourself. I'm not sure if you have discussed your smoking or your wish to stop smoking with your therapist and psychiatrist, but I strongly suggest that you should. I would imagine that your smoking helps alleviate some of your anxiety that is associated with your agoraphobia. I therefore think that the treatment plan that you have to work on your agorophobia should at some point in your treatment include a plan for smoking cessation. I would suggest that you wait until you feel more confident in your progress in treatment for your agorophobia and at that point begin to integrate into your treatment a behavioral plan for smoking cessation. It would be best if you did this with the help of your therapist and/or psychiatrist. I wish you good luck, Levi Breuer

Experience: Masters in Clinical Counseling & Completing Doctorate in Psyh. 3 Yrs. Exper w/ Diverse Populations
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.
Hi, <br /> <br />I appreciate that you are thinking of smoking cessation, and you can do it simultaneously while being on your medicines and Psychotherapy. <br /> <br />Smoking itself reduces the effects of some drugs by increasing there metabolism in body,and therefore the dose needs to be increased in some patients because of it. <br /> <br />There is a drugs which is both a good Antidepressant, Antianxiety and clinically also effective for Panic disorder and Agoraphobia.This drug (Bupropion)or Wellbutrin is also effective in cessation of smoking . <br /> <br /> You may discuss with your doctor about its utility in your case. <br /> <br />If you have any other query, please tell me. <br /> <br />Regards