JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

I am a 50 year old female and have been on antidepressants

I am a 50 year old female and have been on antidepressants for over fifteen years. My MD does not know what to tell me when I ask if I can continue to take them safely. I have gone off the meds short term but then feel so poorly I end up taking them again. I have been taking 10mg of Paxil for the last ten years. What do you advise?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
Hi kimz,

Many folks remain on antidepressant medication for very long periods of time because they become unable to function without them. In my opinion, psychoactive medication makes an individual dependent on the drug to feel good. If you really want to get off the medication, I suggest that you get some intensive psychotherapy to deal with the issues in your life that might make you feel bad. You can definitely expect to feel down for quite some time after coming off the Paxil. I'm not sure how intense this down will be, but you must be in contact with a psychiatrist and a therapist who are willing to help you make this change. If you do not want to get off the medication, you can just continue as you are doing. I suggest you seek the advice of a new psychiatrist to get an additional opinion after he conducts an evaluation. Good luck with whatever you choose.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer to be worthy.