Lively, Psychologist
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families

My 16 yr old has ADHD. It looks like he also had ODD. Are there

My 16 yr old has ADHD. It looks like he also had ODD. Are there save medications he can take. He is taking 72 Concerta now. Also, I have extreme memory loss, I instantly forget people's name, lose thing, disorganized and stay stressed, have relationship issues at times and over react sometimes. Could I have something also. I need to be at my best to help my son.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 7 years ago.
There are many safe medications that your son can take to treat ADD. It also might help for him to have a therapist who he can talk to about what this experience is like for him and how to manage medications. As for your memory problems, I would want to get a thorough evaluation. For example, have you ever had a head injury? Any history of seizures? Have you had a physical recently? Memory problems can be cause by all kinds of things from physical health issues to stress. There is no easy answer to this but it sounds like talking to a professional could help clarify things and also give you some support in helping your son.