JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

teenage cutting

teenage cutting
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.

Honestly, my opinion is that medication is not helpful if there are family problems and relationship problems that are continuing the problem. However, I am not questioning the judgment of this therapist, because I have not worked with your granddaughter for 1 year. The therapist is probably recommending this because he or she feels like your granddaughter could really benefit from the meds. Her cutting behavior is very serious and needs to be addressed in some way. I am guessing that the therapist feels that she might do something more dangerous if she does not get on some type of medication soon. I would suggest allowing her to go on the medication if a psychiatrist feels it could be helpful. Hopefully, if her cutting stops and her symptoms improve, she could eventually come off the medication. I understand your hesitancy and as a psychologist who avoids referring for medication myself, I know you must be worried. However, I think you should trust the judgment of the therapist. If a year of therapy has not helped that much and she is now cutting, she probably needs some least for a little while.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer to be worthy.