JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

Since my boyfriend decided to leave me and look for someone

Since my boyfriend decided to leave me and look for someone else, because I refused to divorce and marry him, I have been feeling extremely bad. We had a 12 years relationship. My doctor prescribed Paxil or Cipralex, but both give me terrible headaches. I saw a psychologue, it helps just the day of the visit. I am obsessed by the memory of my relationship and I still love him. But there is no solution to my problem. As the two medications I tried give me terrible headaches, can I add to that Ativan? If you have another solution that will help, please give it to me. Thank you
Hi cricri,

As a clinician, I personally feel uncomfortable referring clients for medication unless they have dealt with the underlying conflict generating the depressive symptoms. Medication may boost your mood somewhat, but it will not eliminate the reality of your loss. You are trying to avoid your grief with medication, but this will not work. You need supportive therapy that will help you cope with the loss. Additionally, you need to find some other positive social experiences to help you move on. I suggest that you go to see a clinical psychologist who specializes in psychodynamic therapy. He or she might be able to help you uncover the conflict and cope with the loss. Unfortunately, there is not quick fix to this type of problem. You may need long-term psychotherapy and do not expect it to get better quickly. I wish I could give you better news, but this will be the best option if you really want to recover from this loss.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.