JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

I work as a nanny for a family of a 7 y.o.girl and twins 3

Customer Question

I work as a nanny for a family of a 7 y.o.girl and twins 3 y.o.girls for almost five years.The kids have many behavior issues,mainly from INEXISTENT parents discipline.Lately I've been recognizing more and more a.d.d.behaviors from one of the twin girls. I home school them and she has no interest on learning, cannot do the easiest assignments.Some days she would know her work and others don't know them at all. Follow directions is hard and many times she just refuse doing them because she knows she will get frustrated and don't get upset for her sister achievements. But one thing she had it always and is getting worse is the inability of be still specially when requested. If she stops, she falls a sleep. Sometimes I think she does not understand what I am saying at all and just recently she stared to call me without nothing to say all day.When she is still she usually talks non stop, and many times giberish.Can I still think that is just desperate need for atention and no disciline?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 5 years ago.
Hi Camila,

It sounds like her behavior may be consistent with ADHD; however, much of this is related to the home environment. If the other sister is doing well, you might want to consider talking to the parents about having a psychological assessment conducted on the one with the problems. The purpose of this evaluation would be to determine whether there are other psychological issues involved (e.g., ADHD, Learning Disorder, etc). If she has a Learning Disorder, she may be avoiding the work because she cannot understand what she is supposed to do. I cannot be sure without examining her, but I think there is definitely a possibility of some type of psychological issue. It may be that her unstable home environment has exacerbated this condition. You need to contact a clinical psychologist and have a ADHD/Learning Disability evaluation conducted. I know that she is young, but there are certain tests that can be very helpful for reaching a diagnosis, even at her age. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but somehow I think the home environment probably has more to do with her problem. However, she could benefit from a psych eval if the parents are willing to pay for it. Let them know that you are concerned that she may have some type of Learning Disability that may be impacting her school work. Hopefully this evaluation can provide you with some more information about her functioning.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, your answer was very vague and I do realize that an evaluation would be necessary for a proper diagnostic but as a put it before, her environment and lack ofd discipline are very different from any family and if you can image, they don't see it that way. Unfortunately, It would be very unprofessional off me - even hurtful - if I do not have a more didactic material to back me up. The parents do love their children unconditionally even taking many decisions that will not benefit them best in the future, and if they see what I see, I would not have to be concern at all. They think that they daughter is a very difficult and strong minded yet loving and beautiful. So as you can see, I am in a very danger territory.