JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

I have a severely aggressive non verbal 21 son with autism.

Customer Question

I have a severely aggressive non verbal 21 son with autism. We have tried a variety of meds over the past 3 years. His recent regiment for the last yr consisted of Klonipin 6mg., Abilify 20 mg., Seroqual 100 mg day. He was weaned off Abilify little problems around 3 mos ago. He was weaned off the Klonipin only over a 2wk period, 2wks ago. Since then is experiencing bouts of manic behavior, some facial grimaces, and extreme hyperactiviy. He has lost 10lbs and is a usually an slow moving young man. I don't know how to help him. He still is experiencing severe aggression.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like he is having a pretty bad reaction to coming off the medication. I suggest you bring him to a new psychiatrist who specializes in autistic spectrum disorders. Unfortunately, you have few options here. If you feel that he is a danger to himself or to others, I suggest that you look into residential treatment. He may benefit from a residential program for individuals with autism. Perhaps a program like this could help him learn to control his anger. The medication changes are probably just making the situation worse.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I can get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Jr he is in a group home and we have intensive behavior modification.

What would be the appropriate reduction schedule for a daily dosage of 6mg. Klonipin?

What is the guidance or recommendations for reduction in current seroqual 75 mg. a day.

I do have an appt with a new psychologist to get him off the seroqual safely

and am making an appt. with a naturalpath.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
r he is in a group home and we have intensive behavior modification.