JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

About a year ago I told my psychiatrist that I had ben using

About a year ago I told my psychiatrist that I had ben using alcohol. I esplained that I had no daytime cravings, only when I left work. Other times were during awkward social moments or mostly when I was bored. I did drink excessively, but did not actually enjoy doing it. The DR immediately refused to fill any more meds of any nature and coldly asked me to follow him to the front desk where I was given a list of local AA meetings and a name of a psychologist that dealt with addictions as well as a list of detox facilities I could enter on my own. He then said "have a nice day" and returned to his office. I paid for the session and left with the feeling that I had just been abandoned and was no longer welcomed as his patient. I have since quit drinking all together without AA or any other type of treatments. My questions are, did this DR (who hed treated me for anxiety and depression) do what was in his best interests or my own and was I correct in feeling abandonned?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 5 years ago.

To be honest, I am not sure what his exact motive was, but I can say that there are some psychiatrists who refuse to treat individuals who are abusing substances. They tend to believe that you cannot treat someone who is abusing substances with psychoactive meds because the effect of substance interferes with the therapeutic value of the medication. He probably referred you to a psychologist because he did not feel comfortable treating you for this problem. He should have explained himself better, but I suppose he is just a rude person. Unfortunately, you do not have to pass a "nice test" in order to become a psychiatrist. There are plenty of nice and caring psychiatrists, but it sounds like you had a pretty big jerk. You probably felt abandoned because he didn't even try to explain his reasoning. You seem to have felt shoved aside. I think you are quite justified in feeling this way. I would never interact with one of my patients in that way. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Congrats on stopping the substance abuse!

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get credit for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience: I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.