JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

I have been on antidepression and anxiety medication for many

I have been on antidepression and anxiety medication for many years. Recently I had surgery and I have been on a lot of pain medication including oxcycodone and lortab. I quit the oxcycodone 3 days ago and have been experiencing a lot of depression. Please advise.

where is my answer? it has been two hours

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.
Hi Isaiah, <br /><br />Oxycodone is actually quite addictive and can result in symptoms of withdrawal after discontinuing the medication. These symptoms may include depression, fatigue, body aches, etc. Yes, these symptoms of withdrawal can resemble feelings of depression. You need to consult with your doctor because he needs to know about your reaction to coming off the medication. Hopefully, after you move through the withdrawal period, which can last for several days to a few weeks depending on how much of the medication you have taken, you feelings of depression will go away. If you feel like you are going to harm yourself, you need to go to the hospital immediately and seek help. If you notice any change in your symptoms, please seek help asap. Please call your doctor today as well. <br /><br />If you found this information to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.