JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

Obsession Issues

I've developed an obsession with my mouth where it never feels in a comfortable position. It is with me 24 hours a day and is ruining my life. I went to see a Doctor and he was understanding and put me on Fluoxetine(?) which certainly helped, but after taking that for around 5 years I don't want to be on it anymore.

Do you have any advice? I was thinking of hypnotherapy. Do you think that is an option?

Any advice appreciated as this is distressing to me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.

Based on my understanding of obsessional thinking, the problem with your mouth is simply a symptom of underlying worry and anxiety. This is probably why the SSRI medication was helpful. However, I think you could benefit from psychotherapy to address the issues in your life that are causing anxiety, fear, and depression. I'm not sure if hynotherapy will be the best approach, but it has been effective for some people with obsessional habits. However, hypnotherapy does not require you to confront the underlying issues in your life that may be contributing to the problem. My suggestion is to give hypnotherapy a try, but if this does not work, I think you could benefit from psychodynamic therapy to help you uncover psychological source of this problem. It seems like your doctors have ruled out a physiological cause, so this may be a good avenue to explore next.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.