Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

I am 56, have been on anti-depressants the past 14 years. Was

Customer Question

I am 56, have been on anti-depressants the past 14 years. Was taking prozac 20mg 12 yrs. thot it wasn't working as well so upped to 30 mg. after 2 mons didn't like how my head felt, spacey, unfocused etc. 3 wks after I dropped back to 20 mg I had my first ever seizure. Then I tried Effexor 75mg, after 2 mons. had work complaints that I wasn't focused, too laid back etc. Tried Celexa 20 mg for 6 wks. increased to 30 mg, no energy, felt blah. Then tried paxil 20 mgs. It worked great, had been on for 1 and 1/2 yrs. AND continued to have petit mal seizures 2-5 a month. Didn't like this and thot I shouldn't stay on it. Celexa is the only one I don't get seizures on however it affects my vision. Right now I'm on 10mgs Celexa but don't feel as well as I could. Why after all these years am I getting seizures from these meds that worked so well for me. What are my options?? I have had an MRI, CT scan and 2 EEG's all normal.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 56; Female, Canada

Already Tried:
explained in question
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hi Derinda,

Have you ever consulted a Neurologist for your Petit mal seizures?

How did you know that they were Petit mal seizures?

Have you ever been put on Anti epleptic medicines?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I plan to get a referral to see a neurologist, have a Dr's appt next week. I went on google and looked at the different types of seizures and the ones called "abscence seizures" described mine. They say they are mostly in children, however....They only last 10-15 seconds and I am fully conscious, yet if I tried to speak to you I wouldn't make sense.It is the same sensation I had when I actually went unconscious 3 yrs. ago, however I have never "gone out" since. Actually since I wrote this article I've been having them and am only on 10mg Celexa. And no I have never taken anti-epileptic medication. I was relating these episodes to the anti-depressants cos on the side effect profile seizures are 2%, yet I could be mistaken???That's why I would like some answers, three years is too long to be putting up with this.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hi Derinda,

You had an MRI, EEG, CT Scan all normal according to you.So it is not appropriate to say that you are having Petit mal seizures.I mean, it do require a proper neurological examination to say this(which you are trying to have next week).

Seizures while being on Antidepressants are considered as very rare side effects,although petit mal seizures are also reported in adults,but most of the seizures reported in patients while on being antidepressants are that of Generalized Tonic Clonic types.

Also usual dose range of celexa is 20-60 mg per day and you are taking only 10 mg per day, so you are on inadequate dose.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hi Derinda,

If you have any other query, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry but I accepted to be on good terms with Just Answer, however I was not satisfied with the answer. The Tonic Clonic seizures are not what I am having, more like the abscence seizures (even tho this is very rare). I know 10mg celexa is a low dose and I am going to get an appt with a nerologist so...I'm not further ahead, just for your info.