JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

I have depression with severe fatigue. SSRIS like zoloft and

Customer Question

I have depression with severe fatigue. SSRI'S like zoloft and lexapro help in small dosages but in higher dosages they give me bi-polar symptons. I have tried depakote, lamictal, and lithium. Even in very small doses these medications make me so tired that i can not move. What can help me without fatigue. i am a 25 year old male. all i feel like doing is layng in bed. My current doctors do not understand that this fatigue i deal with every day makes me useless. what do you suggest.   there is no other reason for this tiredness, i have had every blood test.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 25; Male, New Jersey
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
<p>Hi rights,</p><p> </p><p>My concern is that you seem to be having trouble functioning and even the medication seems to have minimal effectiveness in elevating your mood. At this point, I think you could benefit from weekly psychotherapy. Since I do not personally know you and have not had the opportunity to conduct an evaluation, I do not believe it would be wise to second guess your psychiatrist. Here is my suggestion: If you are not happy with the medication, you need to find another psychiatrist who can give you a second opinion based on your presentation of symptoms. Additionally, I want to stress that medication plus psychotherapy has proven to be more effective than medication alone. Psychotherapy can help you figure out some underlying conflicts which may be contributing to your symptoms. If you were my client, I would recommend that you seek out both forms of treatment. As for a specific medication recommendation, it would be best for you to consult with your new psychiatrist. Best of luck to you and I hope you feel better.</p><p> </p><p>If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.</p>