JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

i think my girlfriend may have histrionic personality disorder,

i think my girlfriend may have histrionic personality disorder, all the symptoms seem to match up and she admits she has a problem. i am going to help her deal with it even tho it may never go away - i can handle everything except the attention seeking from other men, flirting and thinking that attention from one man is not enough. i just really want to know whether this normally results in cheating by this person or is just literally a front for attention??
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Age: 24; Male, United Kingdom

Already Tried:
nothing
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 5 years ago.
Hi Samson,

Every person is different, but persons who truly have histrionic PD tend to seek attention, especially from the opposite sex, but they tend to have real issues with intimacy and closeness. That is, they may elicit attention but they essentially "freak out" when the person gets too close. I call them "runaway bunnies" because they tend to run away hoping that someone will chase after them and want them. Your girlfriend probably likes to have men show her attention because it gives her that thrill of being wanted. Her biggest fear may be not being noticed or overlooked and not loved. So, you have yourself an interesting dilemma. You want her to be close to you and you find her very sexually interesting. As do many men...I'm sure. Then when she has your attention, she runs away to the bar or somewhere else to get more attention. She is a runaway bunny. You aren't going to be able to keep her in a cage my friend. If you are going to make this relationship work, she has to be willing to confront the idea of "not being noticed." That will be very hard for her to handle. She will see you as the bad guy who is stopping her from getting her needs met.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience: I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.