JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

What criteria is used to determine if depression and addiction

Customer Question

What criteria is used to determine if depression and addiction treatment should be inpatient?
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 42; Male, Pennsylvania

Already Tried:
Self medication - zoloft but I have a basket of probelms.
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

Generally, people are treated inpatient if they are a danger to themselves or others, or if they are unable to care for themselves. If you are able to function relatively well, outpatient treatment is the best option. If your doctor believes you are unable to function outside of the hospital, he will take the proper steps to get you into the hospital. If you are not seeing a doctor, I suggest you go to see one as soon as possible. If you feel like you want to hurt yourself, you probably need to go to the hospital and check yourself in. There is no specific criteria other than just checking to see if you can function without hurting yourself. If you even think that you might hurt yourself, get to the hospital and let them know you need an evaluation.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.