JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

After throwing two cups of water into my husbands face, my

After throwing two cups of water into my husband's face, my husband's elderly father attempted to throw his urinal at my husband after using it. Why would a father attempt to do this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 50; Female, Virginia

Already Tried:
We haven't tried anything. I was hoping to find out what disorder would make someone want to throw urine at another person.

What is the father's age?

Does he live alone?

Does he have memory problems?

Did your husband do anything to provoke this incident?

More details would be helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Age is 83. He has round the clock care to monitor his medication. Medication is kept in lock box. No problem with memory. He is an old alcoholic. He takes lots of medication. Xanax, Ativan, Haldol some sort of sleeping pill, laxatives, milk of magnesia. He sleeps very little waking himself after about 30 minutes. He has had some sundowners but not a lot and quickly acknowledges he has his time confused. He has lost interest in reading, watching TV, walking the dog. Enjoys going for a ride. Eats everything put before him. He complains about being lonely but when people visit he is very rude. He will leave the room and go to bed or go to the kitchen and get something to eat. My husband gave him his medication and 15 minutes later he wanted more. He asked for water. As soon as he had it in his hand he threw it in my husband's face. Although he is very capable of using the bathroom he prefers to use urinals. He has them sitting around the house. He has never been a kind person.

Given his age, it is possible that he may be experiencing some type of dementia. He is on Haldol, which is an old anti-psychotic medication. He may be having trouble thinking clearly and coherently. I am not able to know without examining him, but it sounds like his father has some serious psychological disturbance. Additionally, you may be looking at a combination of cognitive decline and dementia. His behavior is very rude, but I don't think you should take it personally. You might consider telling him that if he continues with this type of mean behavior that you will not visit. He can't be allowed to engage in this type of abusive behavior, even if he is depressed and confused.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.