JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

How do I choose a psychiatrist from the list provided by by

How do I choose a psychiatrist from the list provided by by insurance co. I need to start on an anti depressant NOW, i can no longer afford the private pay psychiatrist I have had 21 yr relationship with. I don't know how to start.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 45; Female, Pennsylvania
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.
Hi lisann,

Are you just looking for medication or are you looking for psychotherapy as well?

Any additional information would be helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need both. But I know I need the medication to feel better soon. My past experience has been with a psychiatrist I have known along time. After about seven years of weekly therapy, I am at the point that when I feel I need help and medication again, I call him and schedule an appointment, get through the bad times, then continue without meds or couseling. He is private pay, and my husband has gambled away most of our savings, got into credit card debt with his gambling, borrowed against his 401 to repay debt, and now my income is what has to support us for the next year since his income is paying back gambling debt. Therefore, I'm so depressed, I need help and I can't wait to build a relationship with a new MD to get the meds, and I cant afford the old one anymore.
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.
Hi lisann,

I would suggest you consult with your old psychiatrist regarding possible referrals to doctors on your list. Maybe the old psychiatrist would be willing to write you one more prescription until you can get in to see the new doctor. If you have a primary care doctor, you might consider asking him for a referral to a doctor on your list. There is really no easy way of finding the best psychiatrist possible. However, depression is fairly easy to treat and most psychiatrists should be able to give you what works best for you. Given your treatment history, getting meds should not be that difficult. If you seek out psychotherapy, I would encourage you to see a clinical psychologist. They tend to have more training and will be better able to help you.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please Click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.