JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

My sister had a tumor removed for her brain 5 yrs ago and she

Customer Question

My sister had a tumor removed for her brain 5 yrs ago and she has been a lot of anger mood at anyone and everone. she say her dr tell her that the brain was damaged at sugery and ther is nothing anyone can do. she has gone to dealing with anger classes to help her but nothing works she will get anger at a drop of a hat about anything. she has thoughts of killing her self. Because she don't know what to do any more . could you please see if you could find something to help her
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 55; Female, Minnesota

Already Tried:
all she has done is went to classes on how to help her and talked to her neurologist and he say the damage is done he could put her on depression pills and she don'r want that
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.

The type of brain damage you are referring to may be irreversible. Brain surgery can sometimes result in permanent changes in personality, mood, emotion tolerance, impulse control, etc. I agree with the neurologist on this one. They could try to put her on some type of medication to attempt to stabilize her mood, but this may not work either. I would suggest that you take her to see a psychologist or therapist to get some help with respect to building coping skills. Hopefully, the psychologist could build a trusting relationship with her and give her some encouragement to keep fighting and trying to manage her anger. Other than that, I'm not sure what else would be helpful. I'm sorry to hear that she is struggling so much.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry you really didn't help you gave me the answer that i aready knew
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.

I am very sorry I could not tell you more. Unfortunately, these type of brain lesions usually result in life long impairment. Medical technology is not at a place where there is anything that can be done. Again, I am sorry this was not more helpful. I know this must be very frustrating. Good luck to you and your family.