JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

Iam now 31 but since I was 16 Ive been on every kind of anti

Iam now 31 but since I was 16 Ive been on every kind of anti psycotic medication. Being missed diagnosed but now they ruled that Im just ocd Im only on cymbalta now. But my question is now because of all of those meds Ive been on now has messed me up cognitively and Im not the age I should normally be I cant function I act like a kid and I feel stupid but am I ever going to catch up mentally and be normal mentally?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 31; Female, California

Already Tried:
I dont know what to do about my questionI asked.

Cognitive functioning is quite fluid and alters throughout your lifetime. Yes, taking psychoactive medications can alter your cognitive functioning, especially if you have taken a considerable amount of medication, as you described above. However, it is possible to regain some amount of cognitive functioning over time, especially given your young age. If you continue to improve and remain on less medications, it might help you improve your cognitive functioning. If you are really concerned about your cognitive functioning, I suggest you go to see a neuropsychologist in your area and have some neuropsych testing done. They can give you a better idea about how well you are functioning and the types of things you can do to improve your cognitive functioning. However, cognitive functioning is unlikely to change dramatically, so I do not want to give you any false hope. I just think it would be important for you to get an evaluation with a neuropsychologist to see just how much this is impacting your life.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated if you found my answer worthy.