JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

My daughter is living with a girl who most likely has borderline

My daughter is living with a girl who most likely has borderline peronality disorder. What should she do
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 19, Rhode Island

Already Tried:
So far the girl is going home every weekend from college and is being weaned off Aderall. However my daughter found her jounal and she said it was bizarre. Basically , she wrote that she is hiding her severe depression from everyone. She seeks attention in potentially harmful ways
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.
Hi kimbo,

I don't think it was the best idea for your daughter to interfere in her business by reading her diary, but since this has already happened, she needs to make sure that she does not tell her roommate. If her roommate is truly borderline and realizes that her trust has been betrayed in this way, she may react in an extremely negative way towards your daughter. As for the roommate, it would probably be helpful for her to seek counseling, but there is no way to get her to do this without her choosing to do this on her own. Your daughter can suggest that she go to the counseling center or something like that, but it may be received in a very negative way by the roommate. I would suggest that your daughter just stay out of her roommates business and help her if she sees the opportunity, but I would not suggest getting too involved. People with borderline PD tend to see people as either "all good" or "all bad." You do not want your daughter to fall in the second category by interfering with this girl.

If you found this answer helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated!