JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

HI - MY NAME ISXXXXX AM A BIT CONFUSED ABOUT MY PARTNERS

Customer Question

HI - MY NAME ISXXXXX AM A BIT CONFUSED ABOUT MY PARTNERS WELL BEING-WE HAVE BEEN TOGETHER A BIT OVER A YEAR-BUT HIS MOODSWINGS ARE DRAMATIC-YES-I TAKE IN MIND THAT HE WAS WITH SOMEONE FOR 15 YEARS-BUT THIS PERSON GAVE HIM HIV-HE WAS MESSING AROUND AND MY PARTNER HAD NO IDEA-ALSO MY PARTNER HAS BEEN THROUGH DEPREESION THERAPHY_ALMOST DIED BACK IN 1999 BECAUSE OF THE HIV-HE ALSO DEVELOPED CANCER-HE IS DISABILITY-BUT HE FEELS SO GOOD NOW-HE IS WORKING PART-TIME-BUT HE TAKES SO MANY MEDICATIONS-I REALLY DON"T KNOW ALL OF THEM-I KNOW ONE IS SEREQUEL-ANOTHER IS ADIVAN-ALSO SOME SORT OF SLEEPING PILL-AND OFCOURSE HIS HIV MEDS-BUT HE CAN GO FROM SINGING OVER THE RAINBOW-AND THE NEXT MINUTE HE WOULD -GOD-GET SO UPSET AND MAD AT ME FOR NO RATIONAL REASON_EX:WE STAYED UP LAST NIGHT TILL 4:30 am-HAD A GRERAT TIME-COME MORNING @ ABOUT 11:00 HE TOLD ME EITHER TO GET OUT OF BED OR LEAVE-I WENT TO LEAVE AND HE STARTED TO GET PHYSICAL-HE KNOWS I NEED MY 8 HOURS OF SLEEP-WE HAVE THIS CONVERSATIO
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
Hi Mark,

You are correct in being concerned about his angry outbursts, but I am not sure I am going to be able to tell you what is going on without evaluating him. What I can tell you is that HIV/AIDS can effect the central nervous system and can cause mood disturbances, especially if he has had the illness for quite some time. In the late stages of the AIDS, some individuals actually experience what is called "HIV Dementia." In the later stages of AIDS, people can start to lose certain brain functions, memory, and emotional regulation. I'm not sure this is what is going on for your partner, but I think that he needs to be examined by a neurologist or a neuropsychologist. On the other hand, his behavior may be completely unrelated to what I just mentioned. It may be that he is struggling with a co-morbid psychiatric problem. Either way, I would suggest that you bring him to see a neuropsychologist for a complete evaluation. His behavior seems to be escalating and he really needs to see someone soon.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated!