JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.
11111309

HI - MY NAME ISXXXXX AM A BIT CONFUSED ABOUT MY PARTNERS

Customer Question

HI - MY NAME ISXXXXX AM A BIT CONFUSED ABOUT MY PARTNERS WELL BEING-WE HAVE BEEN TOGETHER A BIT OVER A YEAR-BUT HIS MOODSWINGS ARE DRAMATIC-YES-I TAKE IN MIND THAT HE WAS WITH SOMEONE FOR 15 YEARS-BUT THIS PERSON GAVE HIM HIV-HE WAS MESSING AROUND AND MY PARTNER HAD NO IDEA-ALSO MY PARTNER HAS BEEN THROUGH DEPREESION THERAPHY_ALMOST DIED BACK IN 1999 BECAUSE OF THE HIV-HE ALSO DEVELOPED CANCER-HE IS DISABILITY-BUT HE FEELS SO GOOD NOW-HE IS WORKING PART-TIME-BUT HE TAKES SO MANY MEDICATIONS-I REALLY DON"T KNOW ALL OF THEM-I KNOW ONE IS SEREQUEL-ANOTHER IS ADIVAN-ALSO SOME SORT OF SLEEPING PILL-AND OFCOURSE HIS HIV MEDS-BUT HE CAN GO FROM SINGING OVER THE RAINBOW-AND THE NEXT MINUTE HE WOULD -GOD-GET SO UPSET AND MAD AT ME FOR NO RATIONAL REASON_EX:WE STAYED UP LAST NIGHT TILL 4:30 am-HAD A GRERAT TIME-COME MORNING @ ABOUT 11:00 HE TOLD ME EITHER TO GET OUT OF BED OR LEAVE-I WENT TO LEAVE AND HE STARTED TO GET PHYSICAL-HE KNOWS I NEED MY 8 HOURS OF SLEEP-WE HAVE THIS CONVERSATIO
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Age: 52; Male, Rhode Island

Already Tried:
WHEN HE GETS LIKE THAT-FROM A PUSSYCAT TO A MEAN,LOUD,PHYSICAL,AND DOWNRIGHT DEROGOTORY-AND THIS HAPPENS IN A SECOND-I KEEP MY COMPOSURE-WHICH I THINK MAKES HIM EVEN MADDER-ex: THIS MORNING HE TOLD TO GET OUT OF BED OR LEAVE-AND I DID LEAVE-HE SAID BECAUSE IT WAS HIS HOME HE CAN DICTATE THE RULES-WELL I LEFT- GUESS UP WHO SHOWS UP @ MY DOOR-HIM-THE SAME BULL HAPPENED @ WEEKS AGO-OVER SOME SILLY MOVIE-HE WENT BALLALISTIC BECAUSE I WASN'T INTERESTED IN MUSICALS-AND HE SPAT OUT SO MUCH VERMIN-THREATEN TO EXPOSE MY HIV TO MY WORK ENVIOREMENT_CALLED ME @ WORK-SAYING HE WAS GOING TO RUIN MY LIFE-TO ME_ITS REALLY UNSTABLE-NOW I HAVE BEEN HAVING DOUBTS ABOUT BUYING A HOME WITH HIM_BTW_THE LAST INCIDENT HE CALLED ME UP CRYING AND APOLOGIZED_I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH MORE I CAN TAKE OF THESE EPISODES-DO YOU HAVE ANY INPUT ON THIS?-I'D REALLY LIKE TO GAUGE THIS FROM A DIFFERENT PERSONS VIEW AND PERSPECTIVE_ALSO HES A KNOW IT ALL- CANNOT HAVE A RATIONAL DEBATE WITH HIM ON ANYTHING-THANKS-MARK
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 8 years ago.
Hi Mark,

You are correct in being concerned about his angry outbursts, but I am not sure I am going to be able to tell you what is going on without evaluating him. What I can tell you is that HIV/AIDS can effect the central nervous system and can cause mood disturbances, especially if he has had the illness for quite some time. In the late stages of the AIDS, some individuals actually experience what is called "HIV Dementia." In the later stages of AIDS, people can start to lose certain brain functions, memory, and emotional regulation. I'm not sure this is what is going on for your partner, but I think that he needs to be examined by a neurologist or a neuropsychologist. On the other hand, his behavior may be completely unrelated to what I just mentioned. It may be that he is struggling with a co-morbid psychiatric problem. Either way, I would suggest that you bring him to see a neuropsychologist for a complete evaluation. His behavior seems to be escalating and he really needs to see someone soon.

If you found this answer to be helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated!