JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

what is a pychotic episode normal treatment

Customer Question

what is a pychotic episode? normal treatment?
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Age: 19; Male, Virginia

Already Tried:
four day in- house stay local (way station type ward)--now released to home-2nd episode occured,non-relative conversation.

please advise asap!!
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 7 years ago.
Can you provide some more details on this episode?

Were you the patient or was it someone else?

Are they taking any medications?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
patient-my grandson----yes,medications- but unknown - administered in hospital ward in last (4)days. surburban hospital,bethesda,md. no diagnosis given .pychotic episode mentioned in prior drugs except hospital determined strong prior marijuana use. intelligent college freshman.divorced parents lives with single working mother.thin,good physical condition.prior to "episode"---congenial,moody, loner,very quiet,few friends,no sports,not belligerent ,non- violent.recently states he thinks he is gay.!
"Psychotic" (adjective) or "Psychosis" (noun) are terms used to describe symptoms or features of mental illness that include radical change in personality and a distorted sense of objective reality. It can include hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not present) and/or delusions (beliefs that are objectively false; Example - someone who believes that they are God or that they are recieving instructions from aliens by thought insertion.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the answer is 100% incomplete!! i can obtain this info from any medical dictionary.

i want your proffessional advice as to how we should proceed to help Brian.

I am sorry that you are not happy with my answer. Unfortunately without examining him it would not be possible to make specific treatment recommendations. I will opt-out and see if any of the other experts can provide you an answer more suitable to your needs.
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.

I will try to provide you with some course of action based on what you have already said. First, I think it would be really important for Brian to get in to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist on an outpatient basis. If he has been released from the hospital, the doctors must believe that he will not hurt himself. However, I understand that you are very worried about him. Based on his age and your description of him, it is not surprising that he had this psychotic break. Males tend to have their first psychotic break around this age, if they are going to have a break. He needs to be evaluated by a psychiatrist on an outpatient basis as soon as possible. Additionally, I would recommend that you help him to get into psychotherapy with a clinical psychologist who may be able to help him make sense of some of his problems. He may need a combination of anti-psychotic medication and psychotherapy. I understand that you wish you could do more, but I feel like this would be the next step. Find a good psychiatrist and ask for a referral to a therapist. Best of luck to you. Ask additional questions in the future and request me if you would like.

If you found this answer helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I get paid for my work. Bonuses are greatly appreciated!
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience: I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.