JR, M.A.
JR, M.A., Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have a master's degree in clinical psychology and am currently finishing my doctoral degree.

This is the first ever Psychiatry question! $15 to the first

Customer Question

This is the first ever Psychiatry question! $15 to the first person who answers it! What psychological disorder do you think is most interesting and what are some common treatments for the disorder?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JR, M.A. replied 7 years ago.

I think that schizophrenia is probably the most interesting psychological disorder. Schizophrenia is related to a combination of biological and psychosocial mechanisms that are interrelated. The treatment of schizophrenia is complicated and involves multiple treatment modalities. Usually, people who develop schizophrenia are treated with anti-psychotic medication in the hopes of reducing the frequency of active symptoms. However, individuals with schizophrenia can benefit from certain forms of psychotherapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy. People with this disorder tend to respond well to concrete forms of therapy that emphasize behavioral modification and reinforcement. Schizophrenia is best treated with a combination of psychoactive medication and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks! And best of luck to you in the new category!