Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

I have blow by with my 2011 terex backhoe with a Perkins

I have blow by with my 2011 terex backhoe with a Perkins engine. It has 2000 hours on it There's more air coming out of the pipe not
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: much oil
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: TLB 840 SM. SERIAL Number IS 03981165
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What does the exhauster does on the blower ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The exhauster on the blower has a vacuum line but there's no suction on the vacuum line the rod is staying shut, is that normal ? And yes I'm working on it myself

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the complete engine model and serial number? Check the crankcase breather vent system that it is not plugged and if okay and actual blowby verify if it is in specs with a blowby meter, compression test, or cylinder leakdown test. Cat owns Perkins and instead of compression testing they usually measure blowby instead with a meter. Check the turbo to see if there is signs of dusting from dust getting into the turbo and if the compressor wheel is damaged or has oil indicating a turbo problem. Other wise the oil pan needs to be removed and the cylinder walls inspected for scoring/scuffing, etc. and oil filter cut open and inspected for debris indicating internal problems. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi thank you there is more air than oil. Not much oil coming out a bit of smoke coming out the blow by tube. I have taken the air breather pipe off and the blower seems to be dry and fine. The other question is the exhauster on the blower has a rod about 6" long coming out and attached towards the exhaust side of the blower. There is a vacuum line to it and there is no suction and the rod seems to be staying shut. Not sure if this is normal. And I will look for the crank case vent if there is one. Perkins engine List number is ***** serial number is *****

thanks for the update. That cylinder and rod is your waste gate. Make sure that is not seized and will open and close the flap on the exhaust. That responds depending on current operation conditions. With a vacuum pump ( automotive) try to test the diaphram for leaks and replace if leaks are found. also check that the flap on the exhaust moves and is not seized. Let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi dan. I'm still working on it .Just waiting on some parts to finish it I will get back to you in a few days. its a holiday weekend and the parts aren't in yet.

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry Daniel. Can't figure out the problem. Thanks anyway

Thanks for the update. What parts did you replace?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Changed the filters, the rod on the exhauster still doesn't move even at full throttle I don't think the plunger is working because it stays shut. I can manually move it. Cleaned everything. There's still blow by.

That is a turbo waste gate. its not supposed to continuously move.... 1where are you seeing this bowby? Blowby is compresson leaking past the piston rings. There is no blower on this engine. It has a turbo with a wastegate.

If you are correct in stating blow by..... Bowby can only be corrected with rebuild with new pistons and rings etc

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust, so I'll have to get a mechanic to come look at it. Thanks for your time

If the waste gate is stuck closed you will need to replace the turbo. Pleasure to help