Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have an 1996 Isuzu NPR with a recently rebuilt

I have an 1996 Isuzu NPR with a recently rebuilt transmission. First and second gear work fine. When going down a hill it will even shift to overdrive. However third gear is not engaging. Pinned out the shift solenoids. They are all within spec. Fluid and filter are spotlesa. Could it be a valve body problem?

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

If the solenoid for sure is good on fresh plates in the transmission, I would check the valve body as you suspect. There may be a gouge in it, a piece of gasket leaking by one of the valleys, or something else that is causing the pressure to drop away for that particular gear. With you getting the other gears, I doubt it is a clutch issue in the transmission from the disk flipped for you would lose all forward gears. This sounds more like a pressure issue with either a defective solenoid by having debris in it (even if it ohms good, could still have something blocking the port) or a valve body concern.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry didn't get to check it today. Is there a specific valve body to check for third gear only problems?

There is only 1 valve body. The mapping is hard to understand. If you are good on transmissions, pull it and look at the seal. You can see if it is cracked. I am hoping there is no issue with the front band and it is in the valve body. On new parts, there shouldn't be a front band issue...

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.