roybelding
roybelding, Shop Foreman Freightliner trucks
Experience:  Shop Froeman for Freightliner Trucks
3506196

Got 2012 388 pete faut came and they said it was def heater,

Customer Question

hi, got 2012 388 pete faut came and they said it was def heater , does it have a fuse that could have blown
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: pete(###) ###-####isx 15 cummins
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its still on the road, just wondered if it would a fuse to check, it cut back his power
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  roybelding replied 18 days ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, what is the engine serial number and the code???

Roy

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
roy, i only have a vin number,# 1xp-WP49X-8CD151377 the truck is on the road, he stopped got the oil changed and to read the code at a TA truck stop, i think it was 3351 derate emission, anyway the TA said it was a def heater problem, just wanted to know if i can have him check a fuse or if you think there is anything he can do his self

there are several heaters for the def system. doubt it is a fuse. possible that a wire breaks at the connector on either side of the heater line. tell him to follow the lines from the def pump out to the doser injector for the def and inspect harness carefully.

Roy

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
it was working fine when parked for his break, but it was real cold last night, when he started it up this morning it got the fault, does it have fuse ill have him check it to

as I stated, no. there are not individual fuses for the heaters.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
that circuit is not protected by a fuse no where,

yes, but it would fail all the heaters not just one. you said it had a heater failure. did all 3 fail??

you can have him check all the fuses with a test light or volt meter to confirm but there is a reason the fuse blew if in fact it did. I think you have a heater line issue with a wire broken which is more common

Roy

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thanks

your welcome

Roy

Please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts. we are subcontractors for the site and get a small portion of what the site charges you. you can hit the accept button at the top of the page or 5 stars.

Roy