Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

1999 Isuzu truck (NPR?) cannot find DLC. VIN:

Customer Question

1999 Isuzu truck (NPR?) cannot find DLC.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: VIN: JALB4B14XX7008214
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to perform California Emission Inspection requiring OBDII connection.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know what I don't know.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** with me while I Pull up some info for you

click on this link and let me know if you still have any troubles.

DLC

Click this link for the pinout

Pinouts

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As stated above this a NPR version Isuzu not a passenger car or SUV. Just cannot find the DLC.

Which engine model from the engine ID tag is in this truck so I can be sure to give you the correct pinout information.... I likely have the full engine manual and codes list for you.

Reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Current and past DTCs stored to the ECM can be visualized in the form of blinking CHECK ENGINE Lamp (MIL) when the DLC (data link connector) is shorted. To this end, provide the following steps.1.Turn on the key switch and check the CHECK ENGINE Lamp (MIL) is turned on. (Bulb check)

Engine Control System 1A-35

4.Monitor the DTC status information for the specificDTC that has been diagnosed until the ECMperforms the diagnostic test associated with thatDTC. Following these steps is very important in verifyingrepairs OBD systems. Failure to follow these stepscould result in unnecessary repairs.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)

Whenever the starter switch is turned on, the ECMexecutes self-testing for almost wirings andcomponents and, when detects a system fault, stores itand enables backup control according to the DTC set.When a fault occurs that will affect the running, theECM turns on the CHECK ENGINE Lamp (MIL) in themeter panel or blinks the exhaust indicator lamp to inform the driver of the fact.

Reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Current and past DTCs stored to the ECM can be visualized in the form of blinking CHECK ENGINE Lamp (MIL) when the DLC (data link connector) is shorted. To this end, provide the following steps.1.Turn on the key switch and check the CHECK ENGINE Lamp (MIL) is turned on. (Bulb check)2.Keep the key switch turned on and the engine turned off.3.Short pins 6 and 4 on the DLC. The DLC is a black16-way connector and located at the lower right corner of the instrument panel.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, But where is the DLC located.

Did you click on the link I just posted? Look under the dash above the fuel pedal....

Let me know if you have trouble accessing the link. Check there and let me know....

Also I asked what engine model is in this chassis. 4HK?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is nothing there. No DLC anywhere under the dash. Thanks for trying.

Which engine model is in this chassis?

I have NPR shop manuals and with several engine options.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Excuse me, but the specific engine cannot change the fact that the DLC is gone.

If you want me to get the proper diagram and pinouts I can look it up by engine model. Ive asked several times for the engine model and you are not cooperating. Ill opt out for someone else to help.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I see this sat for a few days. Not sure if help is still needed, so I am following up. I read the conversation that has already transpired. In case help is still needed, I am listing below. If no help is needed and this was resolved, please let me know that this was resolved and I can ask for it to be closed for you.

The DLC on these should be at the lower left of the instrument panel behind a small square cover. If the connector is missing, can you see the small square plug or the round serial plug that it connects to in that area?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 months ago.

Were you able to locate the DLC on this vehicle or was it removed?