Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

No power, 03 sterling acterra Mercedes 6.4, I hooked jumper

Customer Question

No power
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 03 sterling acterra Mercedes 6.4
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I hooked jumper cables to battery, i got power, went to start, it clicked then power went out, i figured it just needed time, however the door Pannels are not lit anymore
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This does sound like a complete loss of power or ground to the electronics.What can cause this here is a loose or corroded or even damaged battery cable at or leading from the battery to where they run and connect to.This can be at the engine block.starter or alternator as well as any power input feeds to fuse panels.The other issue is a shorted or dead cell in the battery.

This will allow power with a jumper connected but no power when trying to start.The click can be a relay clicking off when power is lost in some cases.

What I would do from here is inspect the wiring from and at the battery for any issues.If any issues are found it will need repaired to resolve this fault here.The cables need inspected for any damage,corrosion or bulging.If this is checked and found o.k. then I would have the battery tested to see if it needs replaced due to a shorted or dead cell in it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete