Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

A friend of mine has a 2005 freightliner with a 10speed

Customer Question

Hello. A friend of mine has a 2005 freightliner with a 10speed merritor trans. He's replaced 3 shifters so far. They last about 3 months. After that. Once you shift to the high gears, it stays in the high gears. Wont be able to downshift to the low gear. But if you turn the truck off you can hear the range selector move. Can it be the solenoid or a wire issue
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 8 days ago.

Hi Antonio, My name is***** are known for wiring harness issues at the shifter and range switches. Look for damaged or corroded wiring. If okay and the switches test okay the solenoid are also known to fail. You can swap them and see if the problem moves with them. Do you have any fault codes? Let me know

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
All wires seem to look normal. With no corrosion. Ill try swapping the solenoids and see what happens.

While you are there grab the complete model number from the ID tag and any fault codes you have logged as well.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. There are no fault codes at all or lights on dash

Interesting.... The transmission most of the time will throw a code if it picks up an issue. Let me know how the solenoid swap goes. Also test both for resistance or OHMs and see if they both read the same or very close. Inspect the wiring harness as well.