Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Have a 1998 Cat 3116 Heui with code 253-2. the code wont

Customer Question

Have a 1998 Cat 3116 Heui with code 253-2. the code wont clear and truck has no throttle response. will start and idle fine
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 1998 Chevy C7500 SER# *****
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Long story short removed injectors, sent truck to Cat to have injector Cups installed, the installed cups and I reinstalled injectors. and now this code and problem happened. The truck was running fine before this
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Talked to dealer that did work they said needs a computer, Acording to Cat ET scanner it says personality module is not Programed
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 days ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I can help you with this.

Code 253-2 is defined as Check Customer or System Parameters.

This indicates something needs to programmed in the Engine ECM. This code is normally seen when a new ECM has been installed. If you have not installed a new ECM. They most likely disconnected the batteries and the ECM lost some of its memory.

Here are the things that need to be programmed to get rid of this code.

"Full Load Setting" (FLS)

• "Full Torque Setting" (FTS)
  • "Vehicle Speed Calibration"
  • "Rating Number"
  • "Engine Serial Number"

​You will need to go in ET and look under the configuration screen and check these parameters.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I did check, to me it seems everything is there except for where it says personality module is not programmed. Also they did disconnect the batterys for few days
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 days ago.

Thanks for the information.

Yeah I have seen this before. Sometimes when disconnecting the batteries this happens. In order to program the PM, it will take Cat ET and Cat factory passwords. I am sorry I wish it was something easy to do.

Please reply back if you need more help. I am happy to assist.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the Pm module not being programmed will cause this
Expert:  Cat Man replied 7 days ago.
it will. This happens when the backup lithium battery in the ecm is dead. It will lose some programming when the batteries are disconnected.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 5 days ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my info was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!