Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Truck/Bus Technician
Experience:  ASE Med/HD Truck Technician, NATEF Diesel Engines and Electrical/Electronics Technician, EPA 608/609 HVAC Certified, Steering/Suspension and ABS/Brakes Technician
9290743

I have a 2010 Volvo semi truck. I started it this morning

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Volvo semi truck. I started it this morning and motor quit after running about ten or fifteen minutes. the computer panel reads maintenance required gear selector ECU. Will not start again. acts like it does if the transmission is not in neutral. the panel reads the transmission is in neutral position but does not turn engine over when the key is turned.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: yes I can turn the steering wheel. key is fine. I might need a new gear selector unit or reconditioned one. I unhooked the battery for five minutes to reset computer but it still does nothing when I turn the key over.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Volvo?
Customer: 2010 VNL D-13 Volvo engine. the vin # is 4V4NC9EH9AN286343
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not fixing it myself. Just tried some basic things that I read online. Unhooked the battery for five minutes to reset the computer and made sure there wasn't any pinched wires on the gear selector. the gear selector reads neutral and changes to drive reverse ect when moved so it seems to be working correctly.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is about it for now. go ahead and connect me
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I aoplogize on a late response. Skeleton crews do to holidays.

Are you getting any codes on the shift display? You mentioned the gear selector code and that usually means you need a new XY shifter motor, but having the code will help define that to a more narrow issue.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond.

I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not.

We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.