Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Cat c7, 2004 m2 freightliner, doing it myself, i have a cat

hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: cat c7
JA: What's the make/model/year of your truck? Engine type?
Customer: 2004 m2 freightliner
JA: Are you fixing your truck yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: doing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have a cat c7

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out. ]

Can you elaborate on your question? Are you having a problem with your C7?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2004 freightliner M2 Cat C7 Serial KAL28871I HAVE THIS RANDOM PROBLEM THE CHECK LIGHT ENGINE & THE ENGINE PROTECTION COMES ON AT THE SAME TIME NO SHUT DOWN . WHAT IT WILL DO IT CUT THE VEHICLE BACK TO AROUND 45 MPH AND THEN COME OFF OR I HAVE TO PULL OVER AND COME TO A FULL STOP AND IT WILL COME OFF WITH OUT TURN OFF THE VEHICLE
Thanks for the information.
Since the check engine light comes on. I would like to pull the flash codes using the cruise. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I HAD BROUGHT THE TRUCK TO THE DEALER AND GOT THESE CODES164 -2 (15) OCC 54 | 15247 - 15461 |
164-11(39) OCC 255 | 14725 - 15470 |231-12 OCC 126 | 14980 - 15469 | DEVICE NOT RESPONDING
Thanks for the information.Code 164-11 (39) is defined as an Injection Actuation Pressure System fault. I see this a lot on these engines. This code indicates the ECM is not seeing the correct Injection Actuation Pressure.Code 164-2 injection actuation pressure erratic indicate the injection actuation pressure is far from desired and fluctuating.These codes and problem is caused by several things.The first and most common is a faulty HEUI pump. To test a high pressure 5000 psi gauge is needed to connect to the outlet of the HEUI pump.
Second is a faulty IAP sensor. To test you can install a high pressure gauge into the head and compare the reading to a service tools reading.
And lastly is a leaking injector.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The Heui system is good
If you are getting 164 codes and yellow and red lights coming on. There is a problem in the heui system somewhere.
Or the oil level is too low or too high allowing air to be sucked into the system.Have any parts been replaced?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I haven't replaced any parts as yet . Also in the morning on a cold start up I hear a knock in the engine till it warm up . And sometimes at night I can see smoke not to heavy but Cleary to see in headlights behind me
Thanks for the information.
Yeah that definitely sounds like a heui problem.
I would have the heui pump and sensor tested. If they are ok. You have a faulty injector causing this.
Most often I find a heui pump the problem.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had the Heui system psi check reading 4500
Was it tested hot?
What it dead head tested directly to the pump?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dead we use a stand alone Guage also i notice I have a low oil pressure reading while the truck in operating
It's best to get the engine warm. I have seen cold engines make good heui pressure. But hot they do not.
Then connect a 5000 psi gauge to the outlet of the heui. It should make over 4270 steady. If it does not. It's bad.
Next I would put the gauge in the head and compare the psi to the reading on the service tool. I also step up the pressure with the iap test. If it does not match. You have either a bad iap sensor or injector leak.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok
10-4. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok
Thanks.