Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

I have an ntc 300 big cam that I have already replaced the

Customer Question

I have an ntc 300 big cam that I have already replaced the fuel shutoff valve and still having the no power symptoms. It will crank if I shut the shutoff valve but will not go more than 1/4 mile down the road without losing power and shutting off. The oil pressure at idle is around 20 and the oil light stays on all the time which has stayed on since I bought the truck. Any ideas?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Model: NTC-300 Configuration number: D093415 BX02
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be all
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do you think could be the problem?

With the Cummins PT fuel system, the injection pump is the fuel transfer pump. From what I gather you are loosing fuel to the system. Best test is to make test line from the injection pump suction, and drop it into the fuel tank filler and run test with tank and outlet bypassed. If the engine runs fine, then you have problem before the pump. If it still faultures, the injection pump has internal problems and will need to be repaired or replaced.

I assume you have replaced fuel filter element with no change!

??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That sounds about like what I was thinking. I will get some fuel hose and run a test. I'll let you know the outcome.

OK>

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the filter has been replaced as well.

OK> Just thought to ask

I see question is still open, how did the test hose work out?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did the test hose and found that the truck had the same symptoms. I took the fuel injection pump off and sent off to have it rebuilt. We will see what happens when it gets back.

OK.thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alright so I have the fuel injection pump back and installed. The fuel tank has been drained and refilled with new fuel with some Lucas fuel cleaner. The fuel supply hoses are new and the filter as well. When I first cranked it, I noticed a huge difference in throttle response and acceleration. Unfortunately It only lasted long enough for me to get to the end of the street. And of course it died like it did before. Not to mention that the fuel shut off valve has been replaced as well as the fuse for it. I will say that it will idle forever so it seems. I let it idle for around 30 minutes and it was fine. Any ideas?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

has the Android valve been checked? Seems like you can pinch off the line to it to disable it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Android valve?

May not have one. Older models had it, newer models, it was incorporated into the injection pump. With problem persisting, have you checked the fuel return back to tank? If return is restricted, it can effect pump output. That would let it run when first cranked, but quit when fule return pressure increases.??

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A friend told me the same thing. He said to leave the cap off of the fuel tank and try it. His logic behind leaving the cap off was that it could be causing a vacuum in the tank if the return line is clogged. After doing that, the same thing happened.

But did you remove the return line and check it for flow?