Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  Performed various automotive repairs on several light duty and medium duty vehicles over 15 years of service.
14928985

Not sure if you can was actually trying to make up my mind,

Customer Question

not sure if you can was actually trying to make up my mind
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: I dont have the serial number handy but its and AT235 on a Ford F450
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The truck belonged to my son's Dad before he passed away so we don't have alot of information on it. He is having random problems with the PTO not engaging. Sometimes it works good, sometimes it gets slow, sometimes it won't work at all. We're thinking from the looks of the filter it may need to be changed, but we don't really know where to start even finding a mechanic to work on this type thing.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i guess not
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Pete replied 13 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This can be due to an issue with restriction in hydraulic fluid due to a filter clog issue or possibly the hydraulic pump itself in some cases.A weak pump will cause slow operation and at times no operation at all.

The best thing to do is to try and locate a medium duty repair facility or hydraulic repair facility to test the components for this system here to locate which is the cause then from there it can be repaired to resolve this issue here as it can be difficult to pinpoint the fault from here.I dont suspect it is an electrical switch issue here since it does operate intermittently slow and correctly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete