Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Help me with this code on a CAT engine C7 ESN Kal 87680 IAP

Customer Question

Help me with this code on a CAT engine
C7
ESN Kal 87680
IAP code 164-11
Truck would run rough at high speeds. Tested oil and fuel pressure from the HEUI pump. Found Low Fuel pressure. Customer drove anyways for a week putting his foot in the pedal hard just to maintain 50 mph. Truck died and was towed to us. Replaced HEUI pump. Truck would not start and has no codes. Removed valve cover and checked injector O-rings were deteriorating. Replaced O-rings. Also found harness had a plug that was falling apart once you touch it. Replaced harness. Truck starts up but white smoke billows out and it idles up and down on its own and has a delayed reaction to the pedal. When the truck idles down and sounds like its going to die the IAP code appears and goes away once the truck levels out on its own. It smokes too much to let it reach the water temp necessary to do a cut out test. Does it sound like a injector problem? Can it also possibly be the during installing the injectors one or more o-ring was damaged?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 22 days ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 22 days ago.
the 164-11 code is still coming up?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 22 days ago.
Since the heui pump has been replaced. I must suspect an injector or an injector o ring has been cut. It's easy to do. I've done it several times myself.
I would try manually cutting out the injectors to see if one will stop the smoke. If it does. I would remove that one and inspect the injector o rings. If they are ok. I would replace the injector.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 19 days ago.
Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hi I unplugged the injectors one by one. when I unplugged #3 and #6 the truck shut off all so the oil pressure keep going up and down and turns on and off engine protection
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for the information.
Did the exhaust smoke stop when any of them were unplugged?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the smoke did not stop
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 days ago.
I see. Thanks for the information.
If the smoke did not stop. You have either a problem in one of the cylinders or a split tip on one of the injectors.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
that would cause the oil psi to go up and down
Expert:  Cat Man replied 8 days ago.
an injector can.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 4 days ago.

Hey I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks!