Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  I am ASE Master Truck Certified.
30708357

Cat man. I have a freightliner Century Class that lately the

Customer Question

Hello, Cat man. I have a freightliner Century Class that lately the check engine came on. The weird thing is that when the check engine goes off the motor start to miss or coughs, you know, doing the puff puff when in full throttle and as soon as the check engine comes on then it quits and runs fine.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Freighliner Century Class 2005 and I will get you the vin number next
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 1FUJBBCG25LN33484
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Cat Man replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
Since the yellow check engine light comes on I would like to try and pull the flash codes by using the cruise control switches. If you have never done this. Here is how.Use the following procedure to retrieve the flash codes from the check engine light:
Turn the ignition key switch to the On position/ Engine OFF.
Turn the cruise control ON/OFF switch to the OFF position.
Move the SET/RESUME switch to either position. Hold that position until the yellow lamp begins to flash.
The yellow lamp will flash in order to indicate a two digit flash code and the SET/RESUME switch may be released. The sequence of flashes represents the system diagnostic message. Count the first sequence of flashes in order to determine the first digit of the flash code. After a two second pause, the second sequence of flashes will identify the second digit of the flash code.
Any additional flash codes will follow after a pause. These codes will be displayed in the same manner. Flash Code 55 indicates that No Detected Faults have occurred since the ignition key switch has been turned to the ON position.Let me know what two digit code you get and I can tell you what the problem is.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I tried the procedure that you described and could not get the yellow light flashing for the codes. You have the info of my truck, right
Expert:  Cat Man replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for the information.
Sorry it did not work. On occasions the procedure does not work. Sorry. Not sure why.
Without knowing the codes. You will need to have someone read the ecm with a service tool. Your engine has over 100 codes. I would hate to guess what the problem is.If you can find out the code. I can tell you what it means and how to fix it.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I do have anotber question: how do I cancel my free trial???
Expert:  Cat Man replied 15 days ago.

I will have to notify Just Answer. I am only the expert. They can help you with this.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is there a phone number I can call or website. Please type it to me