Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Loss of power - Cummins 5.9 late model high-output engine.

Customer Question

Loss of power - Cummins 5.9 late model high-output engine. Installed new in-tank fuelpump, changed fuel filter, air filter, checked for leaks in boost hoses, turbo turns freely, still has no power. Smokes excessively. What could be the problem?
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 3 months ago.

Hi Gary, My name is***** will be glad to help. Please post the engine complete model and serial number from the ID tag so I know which fuel system you have for sure. Also let me know what color smoke you are getting and if at idle, under a load, etc and if it clears up once up to temp or is consistant, etc. If you are interested we can do a call as well for an additional charge and still be able to follow up here and post back and forth as needed. Ill send over the Premium service offer just in case. I log in in between jobs as time allows.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mfg date 6/23/04, Engine #57219430, ref# ***** Model# ***** Family 4cexh035984d
Black smoke, worsens when engine at normal temperature

Hi Gary, Sorry for the delay. I help on here in between jobs and evenings as time allows. What chassis is this engine in? Is there a charge air cooler? If so check for leaks after a pressure test and also be sure there are no boost leaks in the piping or intake gaskets. I see you checked but want to be sure. Your symptoms point to this or a faulty turbo that is having lag under a load. See if the compressor wheel contacts the housing even if it spins freely. Let me know.