cat_engines_only
cat_engines_only, Other
Experience:  Repair CAT machines only
11546476

I have a 85 Cat 963 that blew the turbo so I bought a new

Customer Question

I have a 85 Cat 963 that blew the turbo so I bought a new one at Cat dealer and found out that the connections for the oil line and air suction's were not lining up so I rotated them about 1/3 to get them to line up and lubricated it properly before starting it then i fired up machine and it ran good for about 6 hours then it started smoking black like a freight train, after it cooled down I checked it for oil levels and fired it up again finding out it was smoking white now so I took off turbo and it was jamed up (torn apart) would you know if the rotation could have something to do with it? I know it was getting plenty of oil and air for lubrication. Thanks
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  cat_engines_only replied 29 days ago.

Just rotating the housing should not cause any issue. I move them all the time as all REMAN units are never aligned correctly.

The issue would likely be from debris in the air lines or other issues affecting oil pressure.

Also, the dealer would question if you pre-lubed the cartridge during assembly and if the oil has been changed or if debris could be in the oil.

Since they did not install it, it is difficult to prove it is a warrantable failure. It may depend on your relationship with the dealer and if they view your work as reliable.

You may want to collect an oil sample and have it tested for contamination. A looming bearing problem could also add debris to the oil.

If you need further help on this, please feel free to contact us again.

Thanks,

catmastertech

Expert:  cat_engines_only replied 27 days ago.

Do you need further help on this? If so, please let me know. I will be glad to help.

If you are done, please remember to rate my answer. I will not be paid until you do.