Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technician turned service manager on multiple lines of trucks and engines, used in industry.
30244710

My New Holland TC40 transmission will not engage. Bucket and

Customer Question

My New Holland TC40 transmission will not engage. Bucket and 3 point work fine. I was moving some dirt and it just stopped. Engine runs fine. Will low hydraulic fluid affect the transmission?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: Thanks
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. Don't really know where to begin.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that is it.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

What transmission? Hydrostat or standard gears and clutch? Does clutch feel any difference? Hydrostat and hydraulics should be same transmission resovoir, so fluid level should be ok. Does the power take off shaft turn?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hydrostat . The clutch feels ok and appears to move. The PTO does not turn. I replaced a seal on the loader arm. Lost some fluid, but replaced it. Shows low on the stick.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Is there more answer to follow?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

With pto not moving, I would want to check the input to the hydrostat. Pto is driven off the clutch on the engine flywheel, so something is not turning!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

The hydrostat has it's own oil pump, so would not be affected by front loader or three point. If you loosen line or filter at hydrostat , do you have fluid flowing?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I will check that tomorrow. Gave it up for the night before I blew up the tractor out frustration. I will also check the clutch linkage to make sure the clutch is disenging.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

On TC40D, is has just a small drive disc that drives the hydrostat. You may have no connection between engine and hydrostat!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 23 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?