supertech52
supertech52, Heavy Duty Truck Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician 32 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
78680981

How many hours does to take to remove a head and replace a

Customer Question

How many hours does to take to remove a head and replace a gasket set on a 3406E cat engine
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Its in a 2000 tractor freightliner
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I was just wondering about the estimated time
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have some friends doing this and I'am want to know what the usual time on something like this. And they are removing and replacing 1 sleeve and piston and rings in block.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  supertech52 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, It takes about 20 hours. The removing and replacing the 1 sleeve and piston and rings in block is above and beyond the 20 hours. The oil pan has to removed, the whole lower end and then you have to take the piston and sleeve out of the block. The new piston should come pre loaded already to go should just have to put it in the bore bolt it up to the crankshaft. That all together will be a total 30 hours. Thanks and please rate my work and get back to me with any further comments and questions. I am a Ford Mechanic and have been working on trucks since 1982.