Alex Olsen
Alex Olsen,
Experience:  Lead technican at Astleford international trucks
96118949

2014 peterbilt with cummins engine. used as a boom truck so

Customer Question

2014 peterbilt with cummins engine. used as a boom truck so lots of idle time. have had lots of aftertreatment issues. currently once a month we get the aftertreatment diesel particulate filter temperature code pop up and when we have taken it in in the past it is no longer active any idea?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy truck mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else you want the truck mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's about it thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
Expert:  Alex Olsen replied 1 month ago.

hi im alex, could i have your engine SN please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its a 2014 peterbilt 348 tandem , paccar px9 350 hp diesel engine

ok thanks, ***** ***** know what code is coming up? are you having to do more than one parked regen a day?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
aftertreatment particulate filter temperature sensor module code 5742on this particular truck we have never been asked to do a parked regen. We do that on one of our other trucks but not this one. We have had different aftertreatment codes pop up in the past few months. this one in particular has come on past few months. exactly a month ago it popped up and when we took it in it had already become inactive and of course today its back up.

has the doc/dpf been removed and inspected at all? checked for exhaust leaks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Both replaced . (M

ok so you get it to the dealer and they run a manual regen and all the temps are good?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah either we get it there and they see codes have gone inactive or they do manual regen and then say it's all good. They changed wiring harness last time saying there was a shortage .

ahh man thats tough seems to be how it always goes though, never act up at the dealer

does this happen after idiling a while or like at random

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Random . We idle a lot usually 2-4 hours at a time. It has happened both when we have idled and when it's on the road to point it derailed . Some codes I have noticed will pop up and derail and others won't . Do you know if this is one that does ?

yes any emission related code could put the engine in to a derate, thats the EPAs way of getting people to bring there trucks in for service

some times it takes a few drive cycles of the code active to derate the engine this is all ecm based

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What have you heard about Ecm reprogramming ? While modifying exhaust system

being from a dealership i have not done any , i know companys do it, you send ecm in and they program and send it back for you modifications but that is all i really know,

i guess this will be hard to determine why the light comes on if you run a regen and it is fine at the dealer, i would assume its a temp sensor issue because usually if it is a DPF or DOC issue it will happen all the time and not at random

Expert:  Alex Olsen replied 27 days ago.

please remember to rate my service , i receive no compensation until you rate me, i will continue to help you after rating so rate with confidence thanks